Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Used other than as an idiom.
2004, Robert "Dean" D. Russell, The Resurrection of Bayou Savage: Guitar Ghost Fighter, page 52:
- I was thinking, these damn ghosts are a preset pattern, because they don't even know that I'm not a damn Yankee. "I'm going to die for something I didn't even do."
- (used in the Southern US) A person from the northern United States (a Yankee) who moves to the South to reside there.
1998, Kimberly J. Cook, Divided passions: public opinions on abortion and the death penalty, page 6:
- REBEL A Damn Yankee comes down here to live.
- KC Well, I came down here to live.
- REBEL Well, you're going back, you said.
- KC Right.
- REBEL You're just a Yankee, not a Damn Yankee. But that's the difference between them.
2009, Jo Maeder, When I Married My Mother: A Daughter's Search:
- "What's the difference between a Yankee and a damn Yankee?"
- "I've already heard it many times since I moved here. A Yankee visits the South, spends his money, and leaves. A damn Yankee stays."