deinstitutionalize + -ation
deinstitutionalization (usually uncountable, plural deinstitutionalizations)
- the process of abolishing a practice that has been considered a norm
- The government began the deinstitutionalization of background checks for certain Federal jobs.
- the process of releasing a person from a facility where their freedom to leave has been restrained
- The deinstitutionalization of minor offenders helps reduce prison overcrowding.
- the process of reducing a person's dependence on an institutional environment
- After thirty years in the asylum, deinstitutionalization would present many problems.