Jump to navigation Jump to search
derro (plural derros)
- (Australia, slang) A homeless person; a social derelict.
- 2002, Bryce Courtenay, Matthew Flinders' Cat, 2006, unnumbered page,
- He leaned back slightly, a small smile on his face. 'Who's gunna worry about an old derro found dead in the gutter, eh? Sure, someone will find out who you once were, that won't cut any ice neither, you're a nothing now, less than a nobody, a drunken derro, a homeless person.'
- 2010, Caroline Brem, Chloë Plays Detective, page 107:
- “I was thinking of talking to the derro again. He pointed the place out to me to begin with. Perhaps he knows more about it.” […] By ten-thirty I was down at Martin Plaza, but the derro wasn′t.