Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The empty space in the center of a donut.
- (US) A small ball-shaped pastry, made in the same manner as a donut, roughly the size of the hole in a donut.
- These donut holes are delicious!
- (US, insurance, welfare, slang) An income bracket where one is without benefits, even though benefits are available in the next lower and next higher brackets.
2012, Nick Tate, ObamaCare Survival Guide: The Affordable Care Act and What It Means for You and Your Healthcare, page 138:
- Very few younger Americans have probably ever heard of the “donut hole” in Medicare's prescription drug program, but if you're on Medicare and need expensive drugs it's likely you have.