Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Munchkin
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: mŭnshʹkĭn, IPA(key): /ˈmʌnʃkɪn/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈmʌnt͡ʃkɪn/
munchkin (plural munchkins)
- (informal) A child.
- For more quotations using this term, see Citations:munchkin.
- (informal) A person of very short stature.
- Alternative form of (a domestic cat breed).
- (role-playing games) A player who mainly concentrates on increasing their character's power and capabilities.
- 1993 February 22, Magnus, “What is Munchkinism? What does the Wizard of Oz have to do with roleplaying games?”, in , Usenet:
- Munchkinism is similar to "Monty Haul" gaming; however it involves playing at incredible power levels purely for the sake of watching the terrain get blown away by player characters who are unstoppable. Munchkinism also involves "rules rape," wherein players milk every advantage out of the rules. Often a munchkin will carry a favorite character from game to game, usually with the maximum allowable ability scores, skill ratings, etc - and enough hardware/magic to destroy the planet four times over.
- 1995 June 14, Phil Masters, Elizabeth McCoy, “What does the term 'munchkin' refer to?”, in , Usenet:
- younger gamers of a power-oriented mindset .. an immature power-gamer who has +10 Swords of Slay Anything for wallpaper. It derives from those Oz denizines, Munchkins, to young gamers who often go in for hack'n'slash Monty Hauls, to anyone who seems more concerned with Winning (usually by killing anything that stands in his path) than with playing a game with other people.
- 2001 March 7, "Caldera OpenLinux User", “Re: what's a munchkin ?”, in alt.games.baldurs-gate, Usenet:
- There are many different answers, but here's mine: A munchkin is someone who's chiefly concerned with "playing to win" - which might be quite appropriate in a game of checkers, but can be very annoying in a roleplaying game.
- (informal, slang) Synonym of (genericization of the Dunkin trademark "Munchkin")
A person of very short stature
A player who concentrates solely on increasing his character's power and capabilities
A domestic cat breed