Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: concéntrate
- (transitive, intransitive) To bring to, or direct toward, a common center; to unite more closely; to gather into one body, mass, or force.
- to concentrate rays of light into a focus
- to concentrate the attention
- To increase the strength and diminish the bulk of, as of a liquid or an ore; to intensify, by getting rid of useless material; to condense.
- Antonym: dilute
- to concentrate acid by evaporation
- to concentrate by washing
- To approach or meet in a common center; to consolidate.
- Population tends to concentrate in cities.
- 2006, Edwin Black, chapter 2, in Internal Combustion:
- Buried within the Mediterranean littoral are some seventy to ninety million tons of slag from ancient smelting, about a third of it concentrated in Iberia. This ceaseless industrial fueling caused the deforestation of an estimated fifty to seventy million acres of woodlands.
- (intransitive) To focus one's thought or attention (on).
- Let me concentrate!
- 1962 October, Brian Haresnape, “Focus on B.R. passenger stations”, in Modern Railways, page 252:
- The Group has recently concentrated on two main objectives, the implementation of a Code of Practice on minor station improvements and the preparation of a stock list of approved items of equipment for railway stations.
bring to, or direct toward, a common center
increase the strength and diminish the bulk of, as of a liquid or an ore
approach or meet in a common center
focus one's thought or attention
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
concentrate (plural concentrates)
- A substance that is in a condensed form.
A substance that is in a condensed form
concentrate f pl
- inflection of :
- IPA(key): (Spain) /konθenˈtɾate/, [kõn̟.θẽn̪ˈt̪ɾa.t̪e]
- IPA(key): (Latin America) /konsenˈtɾate/, [kõn.sẽn̪ˈt̪ɾa.t̪e]