- A woman who is one's aunt in two ways, e.g. being a sister of one parent and the wife of a sibling of the other.
1923, Mrs. Alida M. de Wet Badenhorst, Tant' Alie of Transvaal: Her Diary 1880-1902, page 235:
- The youngest son of Frikkie's sister had been betrothed to the girl who had measles in my house ; she was my sister's child, and thus I was double aunt.
1971, Irwin Anderson Watson, The pioneers were our ancestors - Volumes 1-2, page 100:
- Aunt Mary was Uncle Burney 's double aunt. Now figure that out. She was Uncle Burney 's father's sister and also his mother's sister.
2006, Sandra Ailey Petree, Recollections of Past Days, ↑ISBN:
- It's difficult to determine which aunt Patience may be referring to here, but Patience had a double aunt and uncle: Patience's mother's sister Elizabeth married Patience's father's brother Daniel.
2011, Carol Ericson & B.J. Daniels, The McClintock Proposal/High-Caliber Christmas, ↑ISBN:
- "Of course she's your aunt Callie. She's married to your uncle Rod." Kelsey threw her head back and laughed. “Then she's a double aunt.” Dana coughed. "Do you want some pie?" "What's a double aunt?" Callie tilted her head, a half smile curving her lips. "You're married to my Uncle Rod, Dad's brother, and you're also Mom's sister."
2011, Timothy Larsen, A People of One Book: The Bible and the Victorians, ↑ISBN, page 115:
- A dominant influence on NIghtingale was her Aunt Mai (Mary Shore Smith, eventually a double aunt as she was her father's sister who married her mother's brother).
- (rare) A woman who is the aunt of exactly two people, especially when those two people are twins.
1894, Neil Christison, Wedded to a Genius: A Novel - Volume 1, page 201:
- I've just paid one to my double aunt.' Phelan ventured to ask what relationship that might be. ' She's my father's aunt first, and then she's mine next, and so she is really two aunts,' he explained. '
1944, The Tucson Liberator - Volume 2:
- Proving that when good things come they come in pairs, Moss Kelly (9) was the twice proud father or twin boys last Thursday . . . this makes Louise Splane (3) a double aunt or something.
2013, Rochelle Alers, Sweet Persuasions, ↑ISBN:
- "If everything goes well, then you'll become a double aunt." "When is the baby. . . I guess I should say when are the babies due?" Selena asked.