every shut eye isn't asleep
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- a large number of alternative forms exist, e.g. "all closed eyes aren't sleeping", using "ain't", or using "closed" instead of "shut" and "sleep" or "sleeping" instead of "asleep", or pluralizing "eye" to "eyes" (at which point "all" is used instead of "every" and "aren't" is used instead of "isn't")
- (chiefly African American Vernacular) One must be careful, because some people who seem not to be paying attention are actually paying attention.
- 1994, Michael S. Harper, Anthony Walton, Every Shut Eye Ain't Asleep: An Anthology of Poetry (ISBN 0316347124)
- 2006, Lisa Walker, Every Shut Eye Ain't Sleep (ISBN 0595834590)
- 2006, Sabrina Nixon, Victims of Change (ISBN 1449094724), page 150:
- The other girls appeared to be sleeping through it as well, but there's an old saying that says every closed eye isn't sleeping.
- 2007, Patricia Barbee, Every Shut Eye Isn't Asleep (ISBN 0595868495)
- 2007, Monica McKayhan, Indigo Summer (ISBN 1552549097), page 125:
- “Hi, Daddy. I thought you were asleep.” “All closed eyes aren't sleep, baby,” he said, and peeped at his watch.
- 2011, Teresa Hill, Every Closed Eye Ain't Sleep: African American Perspectives (ISBN 1610481046)