- (countable, uncountable) A soothing medicated lotion for the eyes
- (uncountable, slang) Nonsense; flattery; pretentiousness.
1960, P. G. Wodehouse, chapter XI, in Jeeves in the Offing:
- Talking of being eaten by dogs, there's a dachshund at Brinkley who when you first meet him will give you the impression that he plans to convert you into a light snack between his regular meals. Pay no attention. It's all eyewash. [...] He wouldn't hurt a fly, but he has to put up a front because his name's Poppet. One can readily appreciate that when a dog hears himself addressed day in and day out as Poppet, he feels he must throw his weight about. His self-respect demands it.
- (slang): window dressing
- To fool with nonsense or flattery.
- (intelligence) To keep information secret by sending false information to many people in one's own organization, and correct information to a select few.