Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Lotion
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈloʊʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈləʊʃən/
- Rhymes: -əʊʃən
- A low- to medium-viscosity topical preparation intended for application to unbroken skin.
- sun-tan lotion
- (archaic) A washing, especially of the skin for the purpose of beautification.
- → Swahili: losheni
ointment that one rubs on the skin
- cream (generally a bit thicker than a lotion)
- (transitive) To cover or treat with a lotion.
- 2005, Ryan Phillips, Fall from Grace, page 52:
- Grace lotions her arms and legs and joins him in the large walk-in closet where they change out of their clothes and into their pajamas—loose-fitting cotton bottoms for Mike and a lace-trimmed baby doll nightie for Grace.
- 2011, Jeanne Starr Gater, Bring Back Summertime, page 89:
- I would finish my daily ranging session by lotioning his legs, and lotioning and rubbing his feet.
- “lotion” in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- “lotion” in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
lotion f (plural lotions)