Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A vision aid or similar device worn over the eyes, such as eyeglasses, contact lenses, or protective goggles.
1925, London charivari:
- American manufacturers are now describing spectacles as "eyewear".
- 1974 Oct. 14, "Wise Owl Club inducts two," St. Petersburg Times / Manatee Times, p. 3 (retrieved 1 Sep 2010):
- Use of safety eyewear by Jones saved his sight when he was holding a chisel, another employe lifted up a hammer to hit the chisel and accidentally struck Jones in the nose and safety glasses.
- 1988 July 4, Anastasia Toufexis et al., "Health & Fitness: Do Your Shades Do the Job?," Time:
- ANSI divides sunglasses into three categories: fashion spectacles that shield eyes from only 70% of UV-B and less than 60% of UV-A; everyday eyewear that screens out 95% of UV-B and between 60% and 92% of UV-A; and special-purpose glasses that absorb almost 99% of ultraviolet rays.
- eyewear at OneLook Dictionary Search