Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A vision aid or similar device worn over the eyes, such as eyeglasses, contact lenses, or protective goggles.
1925, Mark Lemon, Henry Mayhew, Tom Taylor, Shirley Brooks, Sir Francis Cowley Burnand, Sir Owen Seaman, editor, London charivari:
- American manufacturers are now describing spectacles as "eyewear".
- 1974 Oct. 14, "Wise Owl Club inducts two," St. Petersburg Times / Manatee Times, p. 3 (retrieved 1 Sep 2010):
- Use of safety eyewear by Jones saved his sight when he was holding a chisel, another employe lifted up a hammer to hit the chisel and accidentally struck Jones in the nose and safety glasses.
- 1988 July 4, Anastasia Toufexis et al., "Health & Fitness: Do Your Shades Do the Job?," Time:
- ANSI divides sunglasses into three categories: fashion spectacles that shield eyes from only 70% of UV-B and less than 60% of UV-A; everyday eyewear that screens out 95% of UV-B and between 60% and 92% of UV-A; and special-purpose glasses that absorb almost 99% of ultraviolet rays.
- eyewear at OneLook Dictionary Search