Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
aid (plural aids)
- Help; assistance; succor, relief.
- He came to my aid when I was foundering.
- Henry Hallam (1777-1859)
- An unconstitutional mode of obtaining aid.
- 1915, Emerson Hough, The Purchase Price, chapterI:
- “[…] it is not fair of you to bring against mankind double weapons ! Dangerous enough you are as woman alone, without bringing to your aid those gifts of mind suited to problems which men have been accustomed to arrogate to themselves.”
- A helper; an assistant.
- Tobit viii. 6
- It is not good that man should be alone; let us make unto him an aid like unto himself.
- Tobit viii. 6
- Something which helps; a material source of help.
- Slimming aids include dietary supplements and appetite suppressants.
2013 September-October, Henry Petroski, “The Evolution of Eyeglasses”, American Scientist:
- The ability of a segment of a glass sphere to magnify whatever is placed before it was known around the year 1000, when the spherical segment was called a reading stone […]. Scribes, illuminators, and scholars held such stones directly over manuscript pages as an aid in seeing what was being written, drawn, or read.
- (UK) An historical subsidy granted to the crown by Parliament for an extraordinary purpose, such as a war effort.
- (UK) An exchequer loan.
- (law) A pecuniary tribute paid by a vassal to his feudal lord on special occasions.
- An aide-de-camp, so called by abbreviation.
- The incompetent general's brilliant aid often made priceless suggestions.
help; succor; assistance; relief
a person that promotes or helps in something being done; a helper
something which helps; a material source of help
aide-de-camp — see aide-de-camp
- (transitive) To (give) support (to); to further the progress of; to help; to assist.
- You speedy helpers […] Appear and aid me in this enterprise.
2012 May 24, Nathan Rabin, “Film: Reviews: Men In Black 3”, The Onion AV Club:
- Smith is aided in his quest by an elfin, time-jumping alien with psychic powers played by another Coen brothers veteran, A Serious Man star Michael Stuhlbarg.
Inflection of aid