Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /kənˈsɝnɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kənˈsɜːnɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)nɪŋ
- Causing concern; worrying.
- it's very concerning that our neighbour seems to be crying very loudly these days
- (obsolete) Important.
- 1698, Robert South, Twelve Sermons upon Several Subjects and Occasions:
- So great and so concerning truth.
- Regarding, respecting.
- Physically, everything is perfect, but concerning your mental state, you have some problems.
concerning (plural concernings)
- That which one is concerned in; one's business.
- c. 1603–1604, William Shakespeare, “Measvre for Measure”, in Mr. William Shakespeares Comedies, Histories, & Tragedies: Published According to the True Originall Copies (First Folio), London: Printed by Isaac Iaggard, and Ed[ward] Blount, published 1623, OCLC 606515358, [Act 1, scene 1]:
- We shall write to you, / As Time and our Concernings shall importune, / How it goes with us, and do look to know / What doth befall you here.