Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
subsidy (plural subsidies)
- Financial support or assistance, such as a grant.
- Manufacturing firms are supported by government subsidies in some countries.
- 2013 August 10, Lexington, “Keeping the mighty honest”, The Economist, volume 408, number 8848:
- British journalists shun complete respectability, feeling a duty to be ready to savage the mighty, or rummage through their bins. Elsewhere in Europe, government contracts and subsidies ensure that press barons will only defy the mighty so far.
- (dated) Money granted by parliament to the British Crown.