Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɹəˈmoʊt/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɹəˈməʊt/
- Rhymes: -əʊt
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: pro‧mote
- (transitive) To raise (someone) to a more important, responsible, or remunerative job or rank.
- He promoted his clerk to office manager.
- (transitive) To advocate or urge on behalf of (something or someone); to attempt to popularize or sell by means of advertising or publicity.
- They promoted the abolition of daylight saving time.
- They promoted the new film with giant billboards.
- (transitive) To encourage, urge or incite.
- 1749, [John Cleland], Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure [Fanny Hill], London: Printed [by Thomas Parker] for G. Fenton [i.e., Fenton and Ralph Griffiths] […], OCLC 731622352:
- so that finding myself on the point of going, and loath to leave the tender partner of my joys behind me, I employed all the forwarding motions and arts my experience suggested to me, to promote his keeping me company to our journey's end
- (sports, usually in passive form) To elevate to the above league.
- At the end of the season, three teams are promoted to the Premier League.
- (transitive, chemistry) To increase the activity of (a catalyst) by changing its surface structure.
- (transitive, chess) To exchange (a pawn) for a queen or other piece when it reaches the eighth rank.
- Having crossed the chessboard, his pawn was promoted to a queen.
- (intransitive, Singapore) To move on to a subsequent stage of education.
- At the end of Primary 6 students can promote directly to the secondary section of SIS.
▼ English terms derived from the PIE root *mew- (0 c, 52 e)
raise someone to a more important, responsible, or remunerative job or rank
advocate or urge on behalf of something
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked