Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA(key): /ækˈtɪ.vɪ.ti/, /ækˈtɪ.vɪ.tiː/, /ækˈtɪ.və.ti/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK male) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪvɪti
- (uncountable) The state or quality of being active; activeness.
- Pit row was abuzz with activity.
- (countable) Something done as an action or a movement.
- The activity for the morning was a walk to the store.
- (countable) Something done for pleasure or entertainment, especially one involving movement or an excursion.
- 2013 June 7, David Simpson, “Fantasy of navigation”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 36:
- Like most human activities, ballooning has sponsored heroes and hucksters and a good deal in between. For every dedicated scientist patiently recording atmospheric pressure and wind speed while shivering at high altitudes, there is a carnival barker with a bevy of pretty girls willing to dangle from a basket or parachute down to earth.
- An increasing number of sports activities are on offer at the university.
- Quilting can be an enjoyable activity.
- (grammar, semantics) The lexical aspect (aktionsart) of verbs or predicates that change over time and have no natural end point.
- 1997, Robert van Valin and Randy LaPolla, Syntax, page 92:
- […] distinctions among states of affairs are reflected to a striking degree in distinctions among Aktionsart types. That is, situations are expressed by state verbs or predicates, events by achievement verbs or predicates, and actions by activity verbs or predicates.
- Adjectives often used with "activity": increased, decreased, high, low, volcanic, seismic, eruptive, intellectual, physical, mental, spiritual, muscular, cerebral, favorite, recreational, practical, cultural, artistic, literary, musical, political, diplomatic, military, domestic, voluntary, missionary, chemical, optical, productive, reproductive, industrial, commercial, etc.
- See also Thesaurus:activity
- activity book
- activity stream
- activity trap
- beehive of activity
- catalytic activity
- extravehicular activity
- hive of activity
- optical activity
- ultrahazardous activity
- zone of polarizing activity
state or quality of being active
something done as an action or a movement
something done for pleasure or entertainment
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked