Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Physical motion between points in space.
- (engineering) A system or mechanism for transmitting motion of a definite character, or for transforming motion, such as the wheelwork of a watch.
- The impression of motion in an artwork, painting, novel etc.
- A trend in various fields or social categories, a group of people with a common ideology who try together to achieve certain general goals
- The labor movement has been struggling in America since the passage of the Taft-Hartley act in 1947.
- (music) A large division of a larger composition.
- (music) Melodic progression, accentual character, tempo or pace.
- (aviation) An instance of an aircraft taking off or landing.
- Albuquerque International Sunport serviced over 200,000 movements last year.
- (baseball) The deviation of a pitch from ballistic flight.
- The movement on his cutter was devastating.
- (bridge) A pattern in which pairs change opponents and boards move from table to table in duplicate bridge.
- An act of emptying the bowels.
- 1923, Samuel Goodwin Gant, Diseases of the Rectum, Anus, and Colon, Including the Ileocolic Angle, page 47:
- when after a movement feces are streaked with blood and the patient suffers from sphincter algia, a fissure should be suspected,
- (obsolete) Motion of the mind or feelings; emotion.
Terms derived from movement
- aircraft movement
- art movement
- bowel movement
- Brownian movement
- camera movement
- choreiform movement
- cultural movement
- ecumenical movement
- freedom of movement
- human movement
- literary movement
- new religious movement
- Oxford movement
- Protestant Movement
- rapid eye movement
- social movement
- temperance movement
horology: device that cuts time in equal portions
music: division of a larger musical composition
aviation: aircraft taking off or landing
baseball: deviation of a pitch
an act of emptying the bowels
movement m (plural movemens)
- French: mouvement
movement m (plural movements)
- Joan de Cantalausa (2006) Diccionari general occitan a partir dels parlars lengadocians, 2 edition, →ISBN, page 664.