Jump to navigation Jump to search
Borrowed from French aviation, from Latin avis (“bird”), from Proto-Indo-European *awi- (“bird”).
aviation (usually uncountable, plural aviations)
- The art or science of making and flying aircraft.
- Flying, operating, or operation of aircraft.
- Industry that produces aircraft.
- (collectively, military) aircraft
- A cocktail made with gin, maraschino liqueur, crème de violette and lemon juice
art or science of flying
Coined by G. de la Landelle together with aviateur; from Latin avis (“bird”) + -ation.
aviation f (plural aviations)
- “aviation”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
- English terms borrowed from French
- English terms derived from French
- English terms derived from Latin
- English terms derived from Proto-Indo-European
- English 4-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:English/eɪʃən/4 syllables
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English collective nouns
- French terms derived from Latin
- French terms suffixed with -ation
- French 3-syllable words
- French terms with IPA pronunciation
- French terms with audio links
- French lemmas
- French nouns
- French countable nouns
- French feminine nouns