Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: encouragé
- incourage (archaic)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkʌɹ.ɪdʒ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪnˈkɝ.ɪdʒ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: en‧cour‧age
- To mentally support; to motivate, give courage, hope or spirit.
- I encouraged him during his race.
- Delia's coach encouraged her to focus on the positives.
- To spur on, strongly recommend.
- We encourage the use of bicycles in the town centre.
- We encourage you to cycle instead of taking the car.
- To foster, give help or patronage
- The royal family has always encouraged the arts in word and deed.
mentally support or motivate
spur on, recommend
foster, give help or patronage
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked