Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation, General American) IPA(key): /ɹɛkəˈmɛnd/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛnd
- Hyphenation: rec‧om‧mend
- (transitive) To bestow commendation on; to represent favourably; to suggest, endorse or encourage as an appropriate choice.
- The board recommends Philips, given his ample experience in similar positions.
- (transitive) To make acceptable; to attract favor to.
- (transitive) To advise, propose, counsel favorably
- The therapist recommends resting the mind and exercising the body.
- (transitive, archaic) To commit, confide to another's care, confidence or acceptance, with favoring representations
- A medieval oblate's parents recommended the boy for life to God and the monastery
- See also Thesaurus:advise
to commend to the favorable notice of another
to suggest or endorse someone as appropriate choice
to advise, propose
archaic: to confide to another
Translations to be checked