Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 Danish
- 4 French
- 5 Swedish
- First attested in the late 14th century.
- From Old French acceptable, from Latin acceptabilis (“worthy of acceptance”).
- worthy, decent, sure of being accepted or received with at least moderate pleasure
- We need to find an acceptable present for Jeff.
- Barely worthy, less than excellent; passable.
- The designs were acceptable, but they were nothing special either.
capable, worthy or sure of being accepted
- acceptable in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- acceptable in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- acceptable at OneLook Dictionary Search
- Rhymes: -aβle
acceptable m, f (masculine and feminine plural acceptables)
acceptable m, f (plural acceptables)
- “acceptable” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- absolute definite natural masculine form of acceptabel.