Jump to navigation Jump to search
- repræsent (archaic)
- (transitive) To present again or anew; to present by means of something standing in the place of; to exhibit the counterpart or image of; to typify.
- (transitive) To portray visually; to delineate
- a landscape can be represented in a picture.
- The sculptor represented a horse in bronze.
- (transitive) To portray by mimicry or acting; to act the part or character of
- Synonym: play
- It has always been his dream to represent Hamlet on Broadway.
- (transitive) To stand or act in the place of; to perform the duties, exercise the rights, or otherwise act on behalf of
- He sent his agent to represent himself at the meeting.
- As he was too ill to accept the award, his brother represented him at the ceremony.
- An attorney's job is to represent his client in court
- (politics, transitive) To act as a representative of (a country, state, district etc.)
- They chose a member of Congress to represent their district.
- (transitive) To portray to another using language; to show; to give one's own impressions and judgement of
- He represented that he was investigating for the police department.
- (transitive) To give an account of; to describe.
- (transitive) To serve as a sign or symbol of
- The @ symbol represents the online world.
- A dove is often used to represent peace.
- (transitive) To bring a certain sensation of into the mind; to cause to be known, felt, or apprehended; to present.
- (transitive) To form or image again in consciousness, as an object of cognition or apprehension (something presentative, which was originally apprehended by direct presentation).
- (transitive) To constitute, to make up, to be an example of.
- 2020 January 31, Penelope Walton Rogers, “Textile networks in Viking-age towns of Britain and Ireland”, in Stephen P. Ashby, Søren Sindbæk, editors, Crafts and Social Networks in Viking Towns, →ISBN, page 101:
- Rounded stone and glass objects with fine radiating scratches on one surface represent the slickstones that were used in garment-making and laundry, to smooth the cloth and to press seams and pleats.
- (sports, transitive) To participate as a team member
- (intransitive, African-American Vernacular) To constitute a good example or symbol of a group of people; to acquit oneself well.
to present again or anew
to portray by pictorial or plastic art
to portray by mimicry or action of any kind
to stand in the place of, act on behalf of
to exhibit to another mind in language
to give an account of; to describe
to serve as a sign or symbol of
to bring a sensation of into the mind or sensorium
to form or image again in consciousness, as an object of cognition or apprehension
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (medicine) To present again, for instance for medical attention.
- represented to the emergency department
- (by extension) To present again, possibly in an altered form.
- video game represented as live-action television
- “represent”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “represent”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.
- “represent”, in OneLook Dictionary Search.