Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: NUTS
- plural of
- (vulgar, slang) Testicles.
- Ohhh, he just got kicked in the nuts!
- (poker) An unbeatable hand; the best poker hand available.
- If the board is 234QA, all of spades, the nuts is 56 of spades.
- If the board is 4444J, the nuts is any hand with an ace.
nut — see nut
- (colloquial) Insane, mad.
- After living on the island alone for five years, he eventually went nuts.
- (colloquial, figuratively) Crazy, mad; unusually pleased or, alternatively, angered.
- I just go nuts over her fantastic desserts.
- The referee made a bad call against the home team and the crowd went nuts.
- Indicates annoyance, anger, or disappointment.
- Nuts! They didn't even listen to what I had to say.
- Signifies rejection of a proposal or idea, as in forget it, no way, or nothing doing; often followed by to.
They want me to pay $5 for a banana? Nuts to that!
- The association with testicles (See noun above.) adds an intensifying effect to the anger or rejection.
- Use of "Nuts" rather than another form of "No" is often intentionally insulting. (e.g. Gen. Anthony McAuliffe's response to a German request for surrender during the Battle of the Bulge)
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of nut