Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: mutat.
- (Islam) A compensation gift given to a woman when divorced or repudiated by her husband.
1998, David Pearl & Werner Menski, Muslim family law, ISBN 0421529806, page 184:
- Relying on Qur'an, Sura II, verse 236, Nasir (1990a, p. 144; 1990b, pp. 96-98) shows that the amount of mutat is a matter of goodwill and of custom.
2007, David J. Ndegwah, Biblical Hermeneutics as a Tool for Inculturation in Africa, page 121:
- Once it has had three steers, the new owner can 'cut the linkage' (mutat) by giving back an ox and six goats or so, depending on the practice in a particular area, and the original owner will give away the ox in exchange for another calf, which will create a new cattle lineage.
- 2009, Jamal J. Ahmad Nasir (editor), The Status of Women under Islamic Law and Modern Islamic Legislation (third edition), BRILL, ISBN 9789004172739, chapter thirteen: “The Dower”, § 5: ‘Entitlement to the Dower’, page 95:
- This is a ruling agreed upon by the Shi’ahs with the reservation that if the husband should die before consummation, without having specified a dower, nor set any portion for his wife in the contract, then nothing is due to her by way of dower or gift (mutat) (Ref. Al-Hilli, p. 21).
2013, Werner Menski, Modern Indian Family Law, ISBN 1136839852, page 284:
- This argument confirms that in traditional Muslim jurisprudence the concept of some kind of compensation for the divorced Muslim wife, in the form of mata or mutat, was not unknown.
- past participle of mutar
- show (display)
conjugation of mutat
(With verbal prefixes):
- supine of muta.