fall on deaf ears
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (intransitive, idiomatic) Of a request, complaint, statement, etc, to be ignored.
- Every time I ask him to do something for me, it falls on deaf ears.
- 2020 June 17, Christian Wolmar, “The strategy of 'don't use the railways' must be reversed...”, in Rail, page 44:
- My earlier warnings, both in RAIL and in an article I wrote for The Times, have not fallen on deaf ears. There are many people (I suspect most) in the [rail] industry who recognise that telling people not to use their trains will cause lasting damage, but they are silenced publicly because they are now taking the Government's shilling.
- (be ignored): go in one ear and out the other
of a request, complaint, etc, to be ignored