Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
femocrat (plural femocrats)
- (Australia) A female politician or senior civil servant; a female bureaucrat in an agency dealing with women's issues.
1999, Elizabeth Van Acker, Different Voices: Gender and Politics in Australia, page 120:
- Despite working in a difficult environment, femocrats have made an important contribution to Australian politics over the past two decades.
- 2000, Jan Jindy Pettman, “Femocrats,” entry in Cheris Kramarae, Dale Spender (editors) Routledge International Encyclopedia of Women: Education: Health to Hypertension, page 847,
- Femocrats also carry the burden of representation, if they are expected to speak for all women; or, alternatively, they are dismissed as “unrepresentative” of ordinary women and so not entitled to speak for them.
- 2006, Louise A. Chappell, Lisa Hill, The Politics of Women's Interests: New Comparative Perspectives, page 166,
- These moves were made by femocrats in part to avoid marginalization in women′s units, but in moving to new positions, old ones came up for grabs.