Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: flatlings
- (Australia, New Zealand) The practice of living, with others, in a flat.
- (countable) A type of paint that dries with a flat (matt) finish; a coating of such paint.
- 1915, United States Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, United States Naval Medical Bulletin, page 694:
- Bankart is of opinion that “an important point as regards painters on board ship is to recognize the fact that there is danger of poisoning, whenever quick-drying paints and flattings are being used in inclosed spaces, […] .”
- The process of applying a coating of flatting paint.
- (countable) A flat part of something, a flattening.
- The process of becoming flat.
- The process of causing something to become flat; the process of flattening something.
- 1998, Bob Flexner, Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish, page 132:
- Flatting agents reduces gloss by scattering reflected light. The more flatting agent added, the duller the appearance and the greater the loss of film clarity.
- 1998, Edward W. Orr, Performance Enhancement in Coatings, page 274:
- Recent chemical advances allow significantly increased control of flatting behavior through the utilization of special acidic-functionality copolymeric additives.
- (countable) An instance of a musical note being flatter than intended.
- 1982, Clark Coolidge, Mine: The One that Enters the Stories, page 27:
- The bell ropes hang from the outside of the tower, the resultant friction of the ropes over the brick sides producing irresolute sharpings or flattings of the notes.
- 2004, Michael R. Rogers, Teaching Approaches in Music Theory: An Overview of Pedagogical Philosophies, 2nd Edition, page 37,
- Leland Smith goes so far as to say, “in tonal music the minor mode has no separate existence, but represents merely a fairly consistently applied group of alterations — flattings — of certain parts of the major mode.”
- A method of preserving gilding unburnished, by touching with size.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Knolles to this entry?)
- The process of forming metal into sheets by passing it between rollers.
The process of applying a coating of flatting paint.
The process of forming metal into sheets by passing it between rollers.