Jump to navigation Jump to search
forehander (plural forehanders)
- (racquet sports) A shot played forehand.
- (surfing) A surfer who approaches a swell facing the wave ("on their forehand") rather than with the wave behind them ("on their backhand").
- 1990, Surfer - Volume 31, Issues 7-12:
- The morning brought an increased swell; long, perfect, down-the-line, 6-8' freight trains — a forehander's dream and a backhanders nightmare
- (sailing) The crew member in charge of managing the foresail.
- 1940, Roland Barker, Jonah's Ark, page 59:
- Then he heard the wailing cry of the forehander as the crowd manned the braces.
- 1959, Tusitala, page 56:
- I had not been below ten minutes when I heard Mr. Hughes shouting orders; then there came the cries of the forehander, and the creaking of brace blocks, as the yards were trimmed once more.
shot played forehand