Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Gamergate
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɡæ.mə.ɡeɪt/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɡæ.məɹ.ˌɡeɪt/
- Hyphenation: gam‧er‧gate
gamergate (plural gamergates)
- (entomology) A worker insect that can become capable of reproducing when the queen has died.
- 1990, Christian Peeters, “Monogyny and Polygyny in Ponerine Ants Without Queens”, in Social Insects and the Environment: Proceedings of the 11th International Congress of IUSSI, 1990, Leiden, Netherlands: E. J. Brill, →ISBN, page 234:
- Recent studies indicate that queenless societies can have either one or several gamergates per colony, which reveals that reproductive inhibition can occur despite the absence of the queen caste.