From the name of the software program, originally short for GNU zip.
gzip (third-person singular simple present gzips, present participle gzipping, simple past and past participle gzipped)
- (transitive, computing) To compress using the gzip program.
- 2000, Dee-Ann LeBlanc, General Linux I: exam prep
- One way to deal with this issue is to add the compress command, which gzips the old logs as they are rotated.
2007, Steve Souders, High performance web sites: essential knowledge for frontend engineers, page 30:
- Image and PDF files should not be gzipped because they are already compressed. Trying to gzip them not only wastes CPU resources, it can also potentially increase file sizes.
- Therefore, using the YUI Compressor in combination with gzipping always gives the best results.