Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
hammering (plural hammerings)
- A period of being beaten or hammered.
- Repeated hammerings by the smith thin the metal and make it tough.
- Hearing a hammering on the door, I ran downstairs to open it.
- A dented appearance on silverware, produced by successive blows of a hammer.
- (slang) A heavy defeat.
- 2011 April 10, Alistair Magowan, “Aston Villa 1 - 0 Newcastle”, in BBC Sport:
- Villa spent most of the second period probing from wide areas and had a succession of corners but despite their profligacy they will be glad to overturn the 6-0 hammering they suffered at St James' Park in August following former boss Martin O'Neill's departure