- (idiomatic) An advantage consisting in starting a competition or task earlier than might be expected; given (or taken), for example, prior to the beginning of a race.
- Fred gave his younger brother a five minute head start in the Easter egg hunt.
- I want to set off at dawn to get a head start over the competition.
- (idiomatic) A factor conducive to superiority and success.
- His father's money gave him a head start in life.
an advantage in starting earlier to gain a favorable position
factor conducive to superiority or success