Jump to navigation Jump to search
First recorded in 1866.
hellhole (plural hellholes)
- A place of intense hatred, misery, or turmoil.
- 2017, BioWare, Mass Effect: Andromeda (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, OCLC 1261299044, PC, scene: ELAADEN (HNS) - Nora Tallis Found Alive:
- Despite prolonged exposure to harsh conditions, medics say Nora Tallis returned to the Nexus in stable condition. In a statement to HNS, Tallis did not mince words. "Never send me to that hellhole again."
- 2020 July 23, Chris Daw, “'A stain on national life': why are we locking up so many children?'”, in The Guardian:
- Indeed, we happily condemn damaged children—at enormous expense—to hellholes like Feltham, where they are more likely to be assaulted or killed than to find an escape from the revolving doors of courts, prisons and addiction.
place of intense misery