Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -ɛli
- (obsolete) Hellish, infernal.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Anderson (1573) to this entry?)
- 1603, Samuel Harsnet, A Declaration of Egregious Popish Impostures, quoted in 2013 in Shakespeare's England: Life in Elizabethan & Jacobean Times →ISBN:
- These monster-swarms his Holiness and his helly crew have scraped and raked together out of old doting historiographers, wizardising augurs, imposturing soothsayers, dreaming poets, chimerical conceiters, and coiners of fables, […] .
- 1892, Theodore Sydney Vaughn, Satan in Arms Against Columbus, page 138:
- Then wavered all the rebel rings, And of a sudden, ere a single blow Was struck, precipitous they shrieking fled, And sought the portals of their Helly home.