Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The state of being helpless.
- 1950, L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics, New Era Publications, published 1999, →ISBN, OCLC 59128428, page 10:
- From the most ancient times to the present, in the crudest primitive tribe or the most magnificently ornamented civilization, man has found himself in a state of awed helplessness when confronted by the phenomena of strange illnesses or aberrations.
- A feeling of inadequacy or impotence.
- 1910, Emerson Hough, chapter I, in The Purchase Price: Or The Cause of Compromise, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, OCLC 639762314:
- Captain Edward Carlisle, soldier as he was, martinet as he was, felt a curious sensation of helplessness seize upon him as he met her steady gaze, her alluring smile ; he could not tell what this prisoner might do.
state of being helpless
feeling of inadequacy or impotence