Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of or pertaining to the practices and institutions that privilege or value heterosexuality, heterosexual relationships, and traditional gender roles as fundamental and "natural" within society.
- Much of the language used when discussing wedding planning is heteronormative, which can alienate homosexual couples.
1997 Summer, Champagne, John, ““Stop Reading Films!”: Film Studies, Close Analysis, and Gay Pornography”, Cinema Journal, volume 36, number 4, ISSN 0009-7101, JSTOR 1225614, page 82:
- This suggests both that film studies can be heteronormative even when it is analyzing homosexual representations and that close textual analysis is itself structured by heterosexual presumptions and assumptions.
1998 February 28, Holliday, Ruth, “Philadelphia: AIDS, Representation, Organization”, in John Hassard, Ruth Holliday, editors, Organization-Representation: Work and Organizations in Popular Culture, SAGE, ISBN 9780761953920, OL 8030203M, page 102:
- In the same way, homosexuality and bisexuality will always be seen as problematic in heteronormative organizations.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:heteronormative.