Shortened form of "how d'ye do" (i.e. how do you do) or less commonly "how do you fare?".
- (informal) An informal greeting.
Howdy folks, and welcome to our ninth annual chili cookoff!
howdy (plural howdies)
- (Scotland) A wife, a midwife.
howdy (third-person singular simple present howdies, present participle howdying, simple past and past participle howdied)
- (transitive) To greet informally, especially by saying "howdy"
- 2016, Brynn Bonner, Dead in a Flash (page 249)
- I stood up for the kid and it got ugly, with accusations being thrown in both directions. So the sheriff and I weren't exactly on howdying terms when that fire happened.