- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)
- (intransitive) to hum; buzz
- (obsolete) To make a rolling, trilling, or burring sound; gnarl
- R is the dog's letter, and hurreth in the sound. — Ben Jonson.
- 2010, Chris d'Lacey, The Last Dragon Chronicles: Dark Fire
- Speak again, she hurred, making mouth movements with her paws.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for hurr in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)