Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Unlucky; doomed.
- My grandfather was originally scheduled to travel on the ill-fated last voyage of the RMS Lusitania, but thankfully had to change his plans at the last minute.
- 2012, Christoper Zara, Tortured Artists: From Picasso and Monroe to Warhol and Winehouse, the Twisted Secrets of the World's Most Creative Minds, part 1, chapter 1, page 24:
- In February 1927, eight short months before minstrel Al Jolson sang “My Mammy” to enthralled moviegoers who had never before heard pictures talk, the ill-fated silent movie industry had itself one last fling: Paramount Pictures' romantic comedy It, […]
2012 April 22, Sam Sheringham, “Liverpool 0-1 West Brom”, BBC Sport:
- Despite his ill-fated spell at Anfield, he received a warm reception from the same Liverpool fans he struggled to win over before being sacked midway through last season.
2016 February 8, Marwan Bishara, “Why Obama fails the leadership test in the Middle East”, Al Jazeera English:
- With Christie's words about "all-talk-no-action" in mind, notice that Obama and his two secretaries of state, Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, as well as his vice president, Joe Biden, were all senators, the last two serving for two or three decades, respectively. Not forgetting the ill-fated secretary of defense, Senator Chuck Hagel.