in the main
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Principally; on the whole; for the most part.
- 1869 August, Charles Dickens, "On Mr. Fechter's Acting", The Atlantic Monthly:
- Mr. Fechter has been in the main more accustomed to speak French than to speak English.
- 1914, James Joyce, "The Dead" in Dubliners:
- "A new generation is growing up in our midst . . . and its enthusiasm, even when it is misdirected, is, I believe, in the main sincere."
- 2011 Feb. 28, John Cloud, "Sex Addiction: A Disease or a Convenient Excuse?," Time (retrieved 13 August 2013):
- Bill Clinton's philandering was regarded as a moral failing or a joke — but not, in the main, as an illness.
- in the main at OneLook Dictionary Search