Jump to navigation Jump to search
jawan (plural jawans)
- (India) An infantryman; a soldier.
- 1992, Satyindra Singh, Blueprint to Bluewater: The Indian Navy, 1951-65, page 402:
- In any event we soon had the Army jawan sent by the Major with us in the boat and headed for shore.
- 1999, R. D. Pradhan, Debacle to Revival: Y.B. Chavan as Defence Minister, 1962-65, page 44:
- He obviously expected one of the senior army officials to walk over and talk to the jawan.
- 2011, Deepika Phukan, The Story of Felanee, translation of original by Arupa Patangia Kalita:
- They could now see a whole lot of army jawans in gum boots looking for something in the mud.
- State Library of Queensland, Indigenous Language Wordlists Brisbane Animal Words.