king of the hill
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (uncountable) A children's game in which one player stands on top of a hill or other location atop an incline, and attempts to repel other players whose goal is to capture his position.
- He twisted his ankle while playing king of the hill and was not allowed to play again.
- Synonym: king of the castle
- (countable) The player in this game who stands atop the hill.
- (idiomatic, by extension) A person who has achieved a measure of success and is considered to be a leader in his field.
- He was considered a renegade in journalism until he won the Pulitzer Prize, but now he is the king of the hill.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:important person