From Old Spanish lenguage, borrowed from Old French language or Old Occitan lenguatge, lengaje, from Vulgar Latin *linguāticum, based on Latin lingua (“tongue”). Synchronically analyzable as lengua + -aje. Cognate with English language.
lenguaje m (plural lenguajes)
- language (the ability to communicate using words)
- language (a body of words, and set of methods of combining them, understood by a community)
- language (the expression of thought (the communication of meaning) in a specified way)
- lenguaje sencillo ― simple language
- lenguaje corporal ― body language