Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /məˈhuːsɪv/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /məˈhusɪv/
- Hyphenation: ma‧hoo‧sive
- (chiefly Britain, humorous, slang) Massive; huge; very large. [from 1990s]
- 2002 September 24, “Frothie” [pseudonym], “Re: More Mahoosive Spiders :S”, in alt.babylon5.uk, Usenet:
- I even said to someone look at them mahoosive mosquitoes!! […] I tell ya, between the mahoosive mosquitoes, bees & wasps and caterpillars, I was VERY happy to get back to the city & it's pollution.
- 2007 February 26, John P. Wood, Woody’s World Turns Left … into South East Asia, Bloomington, Ind.; Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire: AuthorHouse, →ISBN, page 247:
- Picture this: we had a fat tourist: wandering along in a mahusive pair of budgie smugglers (Speedo's), and wearing this ridiculous flower hat; pawing over a local girl.
- 2007 October 20, Sam Lyon, “England v South Africa countdown”, in BBC Sport, archived from the original on 8 June 2021:
- And on that note, I shall bid you all a fond au revoir. This scene-setting commentary will now end, and Phil Harlow will bring you all the action from the Stade de France before, during and after tonight's mahoosive match.
- 2012 July 6, Gilly Ferguson, “Is Rachel McAdams pregnant!? Let’s examine the evidence (the bump)”, in Daily Mirror, London: Reach plc, ISSN 0307-0204, OCLC 223228477, archived from the original on 2 December 2020:
- Rachel McAdams showed off a mahusive baby bump while out and about in Notting Hill, London late yesterday afternoon. Which could just about be the most exciting thing to ever happen, today.
- 2015 November, Danie Ware, “Muster”, in Ecko Endgame, London: Titan Books, Titan Publishing Group, →ISBN:
- Bass-thrum and glass-shard music swelled slowly in volume. Despite the sound's sweetness, its painful clarity, something in Ecko shivered – it jagged at his nerves like the old fingernails-down-a-blackboard trick. It was pure power, some ma-hu-sive engine that was just turning over, warming the fuck up.
- 2019 June 17, Matt Goulet, quoting Henry Cavill, “Henry Cavill Reveals His Secret to Getting Big Arms”, in Richard Dorment, editor, Men’s Health, New York, N.Y.: Hearst Magazine Media, ISSN 1054-4836, OCLC 1139630055, archived from the original on 3 October 2020:
- So if you're shy about going to the gym because there is always someone next to you using mahoosive weights, don't be. You do your weights, just make every workout count.