mantelshelf (plural mantelshelves)
- A shelf above a fireplace.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 3, in The China Governess:
- Sepia Delft tiles surrounded the fireplace, their crudely drawn Biblical scenes in faded cyclamen blending with the pinkish pine, while above them, instead of a mantelshelf, there was an archway high enough to form a balcony with slender balusters and a tapestry-hung wall behind.
- (climbing) A maneuver to surmount a ledge, involving pushing down on the ledge to bring up the body.
- (climbing maneuver): mantel