Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪɹpleɪs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfaɪəpleɪs/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: fire‧place
fireplace (plural fireplaces)
- An open hearth for holding a fire at the base of a chimney.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 3, in The China Governess:
- Sepia Delft tiles surrounded the fireplace, their crudely drawn Biblical scenes in faded cyclamen blending with the pinkish pine, while above them, instead of a mantelshelf, there was an archway high enough to form a balcony with slender balusters and a tapestry-hung wall behind.