Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Marcel
Apparently from the French name Marcel, but accounts vary regarding who invented the style.
marcel (plural marcels)
- A hairstyle characterized by deep waves made by a curling iron.
- A marcel wave.
marcel (third-person singular simple present marcels, present participle marcelling, simple past and past participle marcelled)
- (transitive) To wave (hair) by the marcel method.
- 1973, Toni Morrison, Sula, Chatto & Windus (1993), page 131:
- Like women sitting for two hours under the marcelling irons only to wonder two days later how soon they would need another appointment.
- (transitive, figuratively) To wave.
- OED, 2nd edition