Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Humbly, of or from low social status; basely. [from 16th c.]
- 1621, Democritus Junior [pseudonym; Robert Burton], The Anatomy of Melancholy, Oxford: Printed by Iohn Lichfield and Iames Short, for Henry Cripps, OCLC 216894069; The Anatomy of Melancholy: […], 2nd corrected and augmented edition, Oxford: Printed by John Lichfield and James Short, for Henry Cripps, 1624, OCLC 54573970, partition II, section 3, member 2:
- Iphicrates and Marius were meanly born.
- Poorly or inadequately. [from 16th c.]
- In a mean manner; ill-willed, nastily. [from 17th c.]
- He meanly refused to ever make a charitable donation.