Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /miː.dɪˈɒk.ɹɪ.ti/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /mi.dɪˈɑk.ɹɪ.ti/, [mi.dɪˈɑk.ɹɪ.ɾi]
- (now rare) The quality of being intermediate between two extremes; a mean.
- (obsolete) A middle course of action; moderation, balance.
- 1624, Democritus Junior [pseudonym; Robert Burton], The Anatomy of Melancholy: […], 2nd edition, Oxford, Oxfordshire: Printed by John Lichfield and James Short, for Henry Cripps, →OCLC:, New York Review Books 2001, p.273:
- In adversity I wish for prosperity, and in prosperity I am afraid of adversity. What mediocrity may be found?
- (uncountable) The condition of being mediocre; having only an average degree of quality, skills etc.; no better than standard.
- 2021 March 28, Phil McNulty, “Albania 0-2 England”, in BBC Sport:
- An individual with mediocre abilities or achievements.
condition of being mediocre