See also: méthane
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈmiːθeɪn/
- (US, Canada) enPR: mĕth'ān, IPA(key): /ˈmɛθeɪn/
Audio (UK) (file) Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛθeɪn
- (organic chemistry, uncountable) The simplest aliphatic hydrocarbon, CH4, being a constituent of natural gas.
- Cattle emit a large amount of methane.
- (organic chemistry, countable) Any of very many derivatives of methane.
Terms derived from methane
the compound CH4
- “methane” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2018.